SURF 2023 Application Deadline:
The 2023 SURF Cycle is now closed. Notifications should be expected by early April.
The SURF Program comprises Two different fellowships
SURF Rose Hills
Sponsored by the Rose Hills Foundation, the SURF Rose Hills fellowship enables UC Berkeley students in STEM disciplines to immerse themselves in full-time summer research. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors, the fellowship supports both faculty-led and independent projects. Students must be US Citizens with permanent residence in Southern California and be majoring in select STEM majors (review "Fellowships" tab above for details). Fellows receive $5000.
Benefits of these fellowships
In addition to receiving funding, all SURF fellows are assigned to small groups, which meet periodically throughout the summer. Although faculty sponsors serve as primary research mentors, small-group meetings build community within the SURF cohort, connecting students with peers who are grappling with similar issues. SURF fellows also benefit from workshops devoted to promoting fellows’ professional development and building research-related skills.
Commitments and Responsibilities
Fellows are expected to work full-time on their research projects for two months during the summer. Additionally all SURF fellows are required to:
- Submit a pre-SURF program survey
- Submit a headshot and project description at the beginning of the summer to be posted on the SURF website.
- Attend orientation, a series of summer workshops, and small group meetings
- Submit a mid-summer progress report
- Prepare a 10-minute formal presentation of your research findings
- Submit a post-SURF program evaluation, including a thank you statement to the fellow’s donor